Parts & Accessories

Which motorhome?

If you’re reading this now, there’s a good chance you’ve already decided which motorhome best suits you. You know what you need. However, there’s a world of choice and if you are undecided, there are certain considerations for you and your future travelling companions.

What size and what layout?

If you’re a family, you will be looking at a larger four or six berth van with at least four seats for travelling in. If it’s just the two of you, two travel seats and one double bed should be enough. What about a bed for the grandchildren? Where do the dogs sleep? The permutations are endless. Anyway, as we said at the top of this section, only you know what you really need.

Dogs in a Bailey motorhome
Think about everyone you will want to bring on your adventures

Interior versus exterior

The more space on the inside, the bigger the motorhome. If you want a large double bed, open sitting area, a vast kitchen worktop, large fridge/freezer, that’s great. We’re suckers for bigger motorhomes. Our current van is an Advance 76-4 and is most definitely a home on wheels.

However, a larger van requires certain considerations. If you want to go out food shopping or visit popular attractions, you may need to find car parks where you can park across two bays.

Alternatively, you may be happy to forgo the larger interior and go instead for a more compact living set-up, like the Alliance SE 66-2 . At just over six metres, this comfortably fits into all standard parking spaces. But, generally, we’ve always found somewhere to safely park our vans.

To see the full range of Bailey motorhomes click here

Mother and daughter standing outside motorhome
What size of van will suit you best?


The first thing you need to do is check when you passed your driving test.

If it was before 1 January 1997 (and you’re not yet 70) you will automatically be able to drive a heavier motorhome than if you passed after that date.

Have you passed your test SINCE 1 January 1997?

The standard driving licence covers categories B and B1. This means you can drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg (B) and tow a trailer up to 750kg behind it. As a result, many new motorhomes are built with a Maximum Allowable Mass (MAM) of 3,500kg.

If you want to drive a larger motorhome (up to 7,500kg), you will need to pass an additional driving test to add the C1 category to your licence.

Did you pass your test BEFORE 1 January 1997?

If you passed your test before 1 January 1997, you will automatically have category C1 entitlement on your licence, meaning you can drive vehicles up to 7,500kg. Your driving licence will show the categories you are entitled to drive.

You can check these details with the DVLA here

Aged 70 +

When you reach 70, you will need to renew your driving licence. If you use the standard renewal procedure, you will lose your C1 entitlement and no longer be able to drive motorhomes between 3,500kg and 7,500kg. To avoid this, ask your GP to fill in a medical report form D4.

Driving a motorhome in the summer
Make sure you understand what weight of motorhome your licence allows you to drive


Beginners guide to motorhoming


Getting to know your van