This modern slavery statement is prepared on behalf of Bailey Caravans and the following subsidiaries, brands or associated companies.
For the purposes of this statement, Bailey Caravans, brands or associated companies will be referred to simply as ‘Bailey’.
The requirement to publish such a statement is triggered by Bailey having a turnover greater than £36million per annum.
Bailey is based in the UK and assembles caravans and motorhomes from its sites in the UK. Bailey also sources and supplies caravanning-related accessories to 3rd party retailers and direct to customers.
Arrangement of this Statement
This Modern Slavery Statement is separated into three parts, representing three different business areas that may touch upon the issues of Modern Slavery;
- Bailey employees and agency workers
- Single component supply chain
- Multi component / composite supply chain
Part 1 - Bailey Employees and Agency Workers
All Bailey employees and agency workers are based in the UK at one of a small number of Bailey sites. As a result, understanding and protecting against the risks of modern slavery within the Bailey workforce is relatively straightforward and is perceived to be very low risk in terms of modern slavery.
Approximately 85% of Bailey’s workforce are direct employees of Bailey or associated companies. The remainder 15% are agency workers recruited through local, well respected employment agencies.
Direct employees of Bailey are paid by bank transfer, and all necessary paperwork as to each worker’s employment entitlement and status is held centrally.
Agency workers are provided by two local agencies. As part of the contract held with each agency the agency must ensure that, each employee has the necessary paperwork to ensure they have a right to work in the UK and Bailey receives from each agency proof of this right to work. Agency workers are paid via their agency.
As a result of the perceived very low risk, Bailey does not envisage taking any further steps in relation to modern slavery and its own workforce in the coming year.
Part 2 - Single Component/Item Supply Chain
As part of the assembly process, an average Bailey caravan or motorhome will use approximately individual components or items. This will vary depending on make and model.
Looking at the overall supply chain for individual components and items the following chart represents the region of origin for each supplier.
Pie Chart 1
UK = 136 Suppliers / EU = 22 Suppliers / NON EU = 4 Suppliers
Due to the robust regulatory framework of the UK the modern slavery risk associated with components received from the UK is perceived as low. Bailey does not envisage taking any further steps in relation to these suppliers in the coming year except for those set out in part 3 of this statement below.
As the EU has a relatively robust regulatory framework the modern slavery risk associated with components received from other EU countries is perceived as relatively low. In the coming year Bailey intends to contact each supplier impressing upon it the importance to Bailey of safeguarding against modern slavery and enquiring as to what steps the supplier is taking to ensure such safeguarding is in place.
In addition, Bailey will take steps in accordance with those set out in part 3 of this statement below.
A very small fraction of components or items used by Bailey is sourced from non-UK / non-EU countries.
Bailey recognises that in jurisdictions with a less robust modern slavery regulatory framework the risk of modern slavery associated with the supply of those components or items is heightened.
In the coming year Bailey intends to contact each supplier impressing upon it the importance to Bailey of safeguarding against modern slavery and enquiring what steps the supplier is taking to ensure such safeguarding is in place.
Part 3 - Multi Component / Composite Supply Chain (UK and EU)
Bailey understands that some of its suppliers within the UK and EU source some of their components (that are then used to form a larger component that is supplied to Bailey) from outside of the UK and EU. Bailey recognises that such a supply chain has a heightened risk of modern slavery associated with it.
In the coming year, in addition to those steps set out in part 2 of this statement above, Bailey will contact each supplier and request that the following information be provided;
- the country of origin of any components or items ‘re-sold’ to Bailey;
- the country of origin of any individual component parts or materials used in the final component supplied to Bailey, and
- what steps has the supplier taken to enquire about or safeguard against modern slavery associated with their origin suppliers.
This modern slavery statement was ratified by the board of directors of Bailey on 1st January 2018 and is signed by Nick Howard, Managing Director, Bailey Caravans.